The McMaster Industry Liaison Office (MILO) supports the research endeavors of McMaster University and its affiliated hospitals, Hamilton Health Sciences and St. Joseph’s Hamilton Healthcare by facilitating collaborative research with industry partners and disseminating research results through commercialization. MILO is a unit of the Research and International Affairs Office at McMaster University.
We assist both researchers and industry by:
- Advancing collaborative research
- Helping researchers obtain funding
- Evaluating and protecting intellectual property
- Licensing technologies
- Establishing and supporting spin-offs
- Educating the research community
- We review and negotiate over 500 research agreements per year, including all industry-sponsored research agreements and all research contracts performed by the University, whether from government, industry or other sources.
- We work with researchers and industry to ensure that appropriate legal agreements are in place to enable the exchange of cells, other biological or chemical materials and confidential information.
- We assist researchers in applying for industry matching granting programs, such as NSERC’s Strategic grants, Collaborative R&D grants, Industrial Chairs, review and negotiate over 500 research agreements per year, including all industry-sponsored research agreements and all research contracts performed by the University, whether from government, industry or other sources.
- We assist researchers in applying for commercialization funding programs, such as CIHR’s Proof of Principle Initiative, NSERC’s Idea to Innovation Program, OCE’s Market Readiness Program.
- Our new C4 Proof-of-Principle fund provides funds for researchers to invest in developing proof-of-concept and working prototype models of promising technologies.
- We review and evaluate inventions, discoveries and copyright materials to assess their practical feasibility and commercial potential.
- We secure intellectual property protection, through patents, copyright, trade-mark and other means to protect and enhance research discoveries.
- Using market research and our industry connections, we find industry partners for licensing, collaborative research and joint development of an extensive portfolio of technologies.
assist in creating spin-off company opportunities and connecting
researchers with industry support networks, venture capitalists, angel
investors and other management and financial specialists.
Educating the research community
- We offer educational seminars and events on intellectual property and research contract issues for faculty, staff, or students, which can be tailored to specific research areas or current issues in this field.